The monastery of Panagia Faneromeni is built in the form of a Venetian tower and it is situated on a hill overlooking the whole northwest coast of Naxos.
The monastery came under the direct authority of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople in the late 16thcentury and consequently enjoyed special privileges during the years of the Ottoman rule. It realized its heyday, however, in the early 19th century, when it founded the first two schools of Naxos, in 1829.
The monastery, dedicated to the Assumption of the Holy Mother, has an abbot and one monk today and celebrates the Assumption on August 15, with religious ceremonies and meal offerings for three days. It was fully renovated in 1992.
The monastery is next to the main road network Chora – Eggares – Apollonas, approximately 17km from Naxos Town. Ample parking is available within the premises of the monastery.